CHAPTER - 7
CENTRAL GOVERNMENT CONCESSIONS AND BENEFITS
AVAILABLE TO WAR WIDOWS/WAR DISABLED AND
RETIRED/SERVING DEFENCE PERSONNEL
1. Educational Concessions. Education concessions which were till now
admissible to the children of Armed Forces personnel killed/missing or
permanently disabled in 1962, 1965, 1971 wars, Op PAWAN and MEGHDOOT have now
been extended to the children of the Armed Forces personnel killed/declared
missing or permanently disabled during all post MEGHDOOT operations in India and
abroad including Counter Insurgency operations, vide GOI, MOD letter
No.9(1)/703/Edu Concessions/D(Res) dated 06 Aug 03.
2. Claims for reimbursement of above concessions in case of eligible children studying in govt recognized public/private institutes were being admitted by AG's Branch, Army HQ whereas claims for children studying in Central/State Govt institutes were being admitted by respective institutes out of the grants received from States. Consequent to issue of revised policy letter cited above all claims will now be submitted to Ceremonial & Welfare Dte/CW-3, AG's Branch, Army Headquarters, South Block, New Delhi - 110 011 for reimbursement.
3. Admission into Professional Colleges. At present 28 seats in MBBS and one seat in BDS and 2 seats in Engineering College at Annamalai University are available through KSB for wives/widows and wards of categories of Defence personnel in the following order of priority:-
(a) Killed in action.
(b) Disabled in action and boarded out from service.
(c) Died while in service with death attributable to military service.
(d) Disabled in service and boarded out with disability attributable to military service.
(e) Gallantry Award/Other Award Winners.
4. Priority allotment of seats in IITs. A joint entrance examination is
conducted every year by the six IITs for admission to the IITs at Mumbai, Delhi,
Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Banaras Hindu University Institute of Technology
and Rorkee. Two seats in each of the above institutes are allotted on priority
for children of the Defence/Para Military Force Personnel killed or permanently
disabled in action. Such candidates are however, required to qualify in the
joint entrance examination.
5. Rail Travel Concession. Govt. of India have announced free rail travel in I-Class/II-AC Class to the recipients of PVC, Ashok Chakra, MVC, Kirti Chakra, VrC and Shourya Chakra and the widows of posthumous winners of these Gallantry Awards alongwith a companion. (Ministry of Railways letter No. E(W)96PS 5-6/22 dated 23 Feb 96.)
6. 75 percent concession in rail fare for travel in II Class is available to war widows including those of IPKF and Kargil casualties. This concession can be availed on production of the I-Card issued by the KSB.
7. Air Travel Concession. Following categories of personnel are eligible to the following concessions in fare for air travel in domestic flights of the Indian Airlines:-
(a) 75% concession to Recipients of Gallantry Awards of class I & Class II viz.
PVC, Ashok Chakra, MVC and Kirti Chakra, Victoria Cross, George Cross,
Distinguished Service cross, Military Cross, Distinguished Flying Cross and
(b) 50% concession to Permanently war disabled officers who have been invalidated out of service and the dependent members of their families.
(c) 50% concession to War widows of post Independence era.
8. Canteen Facilities. In accordance with Army Order AO 32/84, Ex-servicemen and their families and ex-Defence personnel with minimum 5 years of service are entitled to CSD (I) Canteen facilities available in units/establishments. Cadets/Recruits boarded out on medical grounds are also entitled to avail CSD facilities.
9. The following categories of subscribers are exempted from payment of Registration Charges and installation charges for priority telephones connection under Non-OYT/Special Category and are entitled to 50 percent concession in normal rental charges. However, Gallantry Award winners are entitled to full concession in normal rental charges. (Authority : Ministry of Communications (Deptt. of Telecom Services) letter No. 2-47/92-PHA dated 19 Mar 93, circular NO 7/2000 dated 13 Jun 2000 and 2.47/92 PHA dt 18 Sep 2000):-
(a) Gallantry Award Winners in the three Services (PVC, Ashok Chakra, MVC, KC,
VrC & SC).
(b) War widows.
(c) Disabled soldiers.